Friday, September 28, 2007

Why Ron Paul supporters need to reach out to underserved and underheard

I came across this comment on www.dailypaul.com which I thought was a good point to support my views that we need to have a strategy to reach minorities, poor, disenfranchised people--

"I'm as fervent a supporter of Ron Paul as one can be, but I feel tonight's performance was not his best.

Lately, I feel like Dr. Paul has been falling back on his base of supporters and giving them the typical sound bytes that we all agree with. But I don't think Ron Paul has a problem with energizing his base - we're pretty damn energized I'd say. We'll vote for him come hell or high water, so his focus needs to be to get more people to convert to the message of liberty. And this is not an easy task to undo decades of anti-freedom brainwashing.

People won't change their vote because of a 1-minute answer. The 1-minute answer may encourage someone to Google or YouTube a candidate, and then after some research, they may shift their allegiances. But let's be honest, the average Ron Paul supporter is of a higher breed. Dr. Paul can't just say "Freedom" and expect people to react with a Pavlovian response (Like neo-cons do with "terror" or "9/11"). No one votes for RP unless they believe in liberty, and that must be the goal.

We Ivory Tower activists can wax indefinitely on the merits of Freedom, Anarcho-Capitalism, Austrian Economics, etc. because we have that luxury. We don't like that the government taxes us, but we live pretty happy lives nonetheless. We support the ideology of Ron Paul's message, not the necessity.

Unfortunately, a lot of people vote based on necessity. And people in tonight's audience, concerned with Black issues, have real problems. Problems, I might add, that can certainly be solved with more freedom and individual rights and smaller government. But the people cheering for him ALREADY KNEW THAT.

I think Ron Paul was weak tonight in convincing people that his message of liberty is applicable to all people. I know RP stands for freedom because of a truly honest desire to help people, but he needs to tailor his answers to fit the audience; to show them that Number 1 - he cares about those people, and then Number 2 - that freedom is the way to help them. I think RP just skipped over Number 1."

I hope that this inspires you to think more about the idea of community gatherings to reach out to people--both because we want to elect Ron Paul, and we want to show them that we care about them. We are representatives of Ron Paul, right?





No comments: